How To Avoid Tech Support Phone Scams
Have you been getting a lot of unsolicited phone calls? Do you know which ones are phone scams?
IT Support scams are becoming more and more popular and are tricking many individuals and companies into giving out sensitive information. The best way to protect yourself from these scammers is to hang up right away!
5 Tips to Help Next Time A Scammer Calls
- Hang up right away if a caller asks you to give financial or sensitive information. If they are aggressive and threatening to you then it is most likely a scam.
- If callers ask for financial information to charge you for anti-virus software, malware or to remove viruses from your computer do not give it to them! These callers may even have information about your computer to make it seem like it's safe but don't tell them any of your financial information.
- Do not pay a tech company by a gift card or wire them funds. Tech companies will not ask you to pay this way!
- These scammers will try to get you to go to unsecured websites and download/install software from these websites. Whatever you do, do not download/install! It may seem like they are trying to help solve your problem but they are really trying to gain access to take over your computer.
- Do not agree to give control of your computer to any caller that is trying to fix a problem that you have not reported. They may sound very convincing and seem somewhat genuine but it's a scam!